Mama's Sopa de Arroz (Mexican Rice).
You can cook Mama's Sopa de Arroz (Mexican Rice) using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mama's Sopa de Arroz (Mexican Rice)
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chopped white or yellow onion.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of white rice.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt or to taste.
- Prepare 1 can of Rotel 10 oz tomatoes (or other canned tomatoes with chilie.
- It’s 1 clove of garlic minced or to taste.
- You need 1 tbsp of chili powder.
- It’s 3/4 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 2 tbsp of cooking oil.
- It’s 1 (12 g) of Knorr brand chicken flavor bouillon cube.
- You need 1 (4 g) of Knorr brand mini cube cilantro or a handfull of chopped fre.
- It’s of water.
Mama's Sopa de Arroz (Mexican Rice) instructions
- In a medium sauce pan on medium heat, pour in the dry uncooked rice, cooking oil, onions, & garlic. Cook while stirring frequently..
- The rice will start to change to a more opaque white color & then begin to turn a golden brown in a few minutes. When much of the rice is golden & the onions are softened be ready to add the wet ingredients..
- The total amount of liquid needed is 3 cups. The canned Rotel tomatoes & their liquid are part of this measurement (about 1 1/2 cups). So pour the canned tomatoes into a measuring cup, water should be used for the remaining liquid needed for 3 total cups (about 1 1/2 cups)..
- Add tomatoes, water, chili powder, ground cumin, salt, chicken bouillon, & cilantro cube. (If using fresh cilantro add it just before serving.) Stir together, cover an bring to a rapid boil – boil for 9 minutes..
- Turn off the heat. Give one stir to the rice mixture. Some of the rice may be sticking to the bottom. Don't try to scrape it off it will detach later. Replace lid & allow the rice to rest for 15 minutes..
- Fluff with a fork. Any rice sticking to the bottom should now lift off. Serve..
- Side note: My mom swore that only Knorr brand bouillion would do – I think other brands & types may work just fine. I've also used chicken stock in lieu of both the water & bouillon. But this is my mom's recipe so you got it the way she liked it & taught me how to make it. :).